Worker Who Inhaled Gas at Los Angeles Airport Accident Dies
One of four workers who inhaled carbon dioxide in an accident at Los Angeles International Airport has died, his family said.
Cris Abraham, 36, of Lomita died on Nov. 11 at a hospital where he’d been in a medically induced coma, his sister-in-law Tamara Plouffe said on a GoFundMe page.
“The entire family has been devastated by his loss,” she wrote.
The CO2 was released on Oct. 31 in a utility room near a Terminal 8 baggage area, authorities said.
Abraham, a pipefitter, was one of four independent contractors working in the utility room. He was fixing a leaky pipe when a fire suppression system malfunctioned and spewed carbon dioxide, authorities said.
“The carbon dioxide displaces the oxygen in the individual’s bloodstream and they went into cardiac arrest,” fire Capt. Erik Scott said at the time.
Two men and a woman managed to quickly leave the room and were treated at the scene for minor complaints.
Abraham suffered repeated seizures at the hospital and was placed in a medical coma, his family told KTLA-TV.
He leaves behind a wife and two children.
- Former Allstate Agent in North Carolina Ordered to Abide by Non-Compete Agreement
- Hall Sues Oates, Wins Restraining Order Over Plan to Sell Stake in Joint Venture
- $1.3 Billion Lottery Winner Sues for $100K Damages Over Identity Disclosure by Mom
- Corporate America Is Rethinking Diversity Hiring as Legal Challenges Rise