Shasta County Declared Disaster after Wildfires
Shasta County, California was named a state disaster area Aug. 25 after wildfires swept through several communities there earlier this month.
The fires burned 23,000 acres, destroying 106 homes and several historic structures in the old mining town of French Gulch.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s disaster declaration means the county can get state reimbursement for its costs for removing debris and running local assistance centers.
A center has opened at the Shasta County Offices Complex in Redding, staffed from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. with representatives from the state departments of insurance, employment development, motor vehicles, health services and agriculture.
Schwarzenegger said he also has told his Office of Emergency Services to work with the federal government to get help for homeowners and businesses through the U.S. Small Business Administration’s low-interest loan program.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Lawsuit Alleges TWIA Fraudulently Reduced Claim Estimates From Hurricane Beryl
- Seven People Charged in $100M Workers’ Compensation Fraud Operation in Florida
- Should Parents Be Responsible for Kids Getting Hurt and Killed on E-Bikes?
- Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says