Georgia Fires Kill 3, Destroy Historic Home in Stone Mountain Park

November 17, 2023

A house fire in northeast Georgia that killed three people last week was found to be accidental in nature, linked to a clothes dryer that was running overnight. And a blaze that burned a 180-year-old, historic home in Stone Mountain Park also was determined to be accidental, caused by a faulty electrical conduit, authorities told local news outlets.

The home fire in Elbert County on Nov. 11 trapped three occupants. Firefighters found the house engulfed in flames when they arrived early that morning.

“After the fire was contained, firefighters entered the home in search of victims, only to find that all three occupants had succumbed to the fire,” Georgia Insurance Commissioner John King said in a news release.

He reminded residents to turn dryers off before going to bed or leaving home and to clean the lint trap before each load of laundry.

In Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, a fire at an antebellum home inside the park was initially believed to be the result of arson. But investigators found it was electrical-related, said the Stone Mountain Department of Public Safety, according to the news site.

The Dickey House was under renovation when the fire broke out on Tuesday. Fire Capt. Jaeson Daniels said the home is a total loss.

Photo: The historic home at Stone Mountain Park is a total loss after a fire this week. (John Spink/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)