Top 10 Agribusiness Insurance Claims
Motor vehicle accidents are the most common agribusiness insurance claim, according to insurer Nationwide.
The Ohio-based insurer, the nation’s largest insurer of farms, said that over the last three years, the top 10 claim types have accounted for more than 50,000 claims by its agribusiness customers.
Here are the top 10 commercial agribusiness claims received by Nationwide in 2017:
“By sharing our top claims data, we hope to help agribusiness owners recognize areas of their operation that may need increased safety precautions,” said Carol Alvarez, vice president of claims for Nationwide. “These national trends can help business owners pinpoint areas where they can take extra measure to keep their employees, products and equipment safe.”
Over the past three years, motor vehicles accidents have accounted for more than 20,00 of Nationwide’s total commercial agribusiness claims. Nationwide’s data for these accidents show the following trends in frequency and severity:
Nationwide recommends the following risk management tips to help agribusinesses reduce motor vehicle accidents and keep employees safe:
- Embrace safety technology by equipping vehicles with collision mitigation and telematics monitoring systems.
- Develop standard hiring criteria for drivers comprised of new driver orientations and documented training.
- Develop “safe following distance” and “distracted driving” policies that include comprehensive training and procedure enforcement.
- Be aware of advanced safety benefits in newer trucks, such as electronic stability control systems to prevent overturn.
- Provide additional documented training for commercial truck drivers with tanker endorsements, and those carrying high center of gravity loads.