Second Suspect in Nord Stream Blasts Arrested in Croatia: Prosecutors
A second suspect accused of taking part in the 2022 Nord Stream gas pipeline blasts has been arrested in Croatia and will be extradited to Germany, said German prosecutors on Wednesday.
Prosecutors had brought criminal charges in July against another Ukrainian, former army officer Serhii K., for involvement in the blasts, accusing him of acting on behalf of Ukrainian state entities.
Read more: Insurers Avoid €580 Million Hit From Nord Stream Pipeline Blasts
In their statement on Wednesday, prosecutors said trained scuba diver Vladimir Z. was part of a group led by Serhii K. that planted explosives on the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 gas pipelines near the Danish island of Bornholm.
Russia and Western countries have described the September 2022 explosions, which followed Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine earlier that year, as sabotage.
The explosions damaged the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, a vital route for Russian gas exports to Europe, as well as the Nord Stream 2 branch, which had yet to enter service.
At the time of the alleged attack, Moscow had recently halted gas deliveries via Nord Stream 1, blaming Western sanctions and technical issues, though Europe accused it of weaponising energy supplies.
(Reporting by Ludwig Burger, editing by Miranda Murray)
Photograph: A large disturbance in the sea seen off the coast of the Danish island of Bornholm Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022 following a series of blasts hit two natural gas pipelines running from Russia under the Baltic Sea to Germany. (Photo credit: Danish Defence Command via AP)
Related:
- Germany Charges Former Ukrainian Army Officer With Nord Stream Pipeline Attack
- Nord Stream Insurers Deny Policies Covered War Risks in UK Lawsuit
- Nord Stream Sues Insurers in London Over 2022 Pipeline Blasts
- Sweden Scraps Probe Into Nord Stream Gas Pipeline Blasts
- Explosive Residue Found at Site of Nord Stream Leaks, Confirming Sabotage: Sweden